3 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
If you are reading this, then you are just minutes away from a sinfully decadent, three ingredient Chocolate Chip Mug Cake! It’s a sweet and chocolatey treat that comes together in just 7 minutes using your microwave. A certified keep-in-your-back-pocket recipe for days when your need to appease your chocolate cravings or need to whip a dessert pronto!
Easiest Chocolate Chip Cake You’ll Ever Make
Let me just say this- if ever there is a cake recipe made for the busy, the lazy, and the rookies, then this is it! Whichever category you fall into, you are guaranteed to enjoy a mug full of moist and fluffy chocolate chip cake in a snap! Do not let its simplicity fool you into thinking it is a watered-down version of the classic baked cake – this easy dessert recipe is as good as any you’ve had coming out of your oven!
This single-serving microwave chocolate chip mug cake is made with a yellow cake base generously dotted with a handful of chocolate chips. It’s perfect on its own but, this warm cake tastes luxurious with a scoop of ice cream, choco frosting, or whip cream. You can load it up with whatever tickles your fancy! If you are looking for other sweet treats, try my Twix Cookies and Chocolate Covered Strawberries. Or if you prefer, try making this Microwave Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe instead!
Why you’ll love this 3 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Mug Cake Recipe
- It’s the ultimate representation of the term “piece of cake”! All you need is a spoon, a large mug, and a microwave. You will have it faster than it’ll take to boil water. And if making it is easy, cleaning up afterward is a breeze too!
- This easy recipe uses simple ingredients so, it is the perfect recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth any time of the day without running to your local grocery store.
- Since it is intended for individual servings, you do not need to worry about all the fuss that comes with making an entire cake.
- This microwave mug cake is fun and customizable. You’ll have a grand time making this with your kids! The best part is, you can add, swap and omit some of the ingredients to your liking! Check out my best and easiest Mug Cakes to know how.
(See the recipe card for quantities)
- Yellowcake mix
- Apple sauce
- Milk Chocolate Chips
- Optional ingredients: Whipped cream, frosting, sprinkles, chocolate syrup.
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
- Microwave safe mug
- Measuring spoon
How to make Mug Cake using 3 Ingredients
Preparation: Spray the microwave-safe mug with non-stick spray.
STEP 1: Make the Batter. Combine cake mix, water, apple sauce, and chocolate chips into your mug. Stir until smooth.
STEP 2: Bake. Bake in the microwave at full power for 1 minute.
STEP 3: Chill and Garnish. Allow to cool slightly. Garnish with whip cream, chocolate syrup, and/or ice cream. Enjoy!
Tips When Making Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- Make sure you are using a microwavable mug. You can use microwave-safe bowls or ramekins if you do not have one.
- You will want to use a large microwave-safe mug that holds at least 8 ounces for this recipe. It will overflow and create a mess if it is smaller than that.
- Ensure that the batter is well blended, without any dry cake mix and large lumps visible. Or else you’ll get clumpy, uncooked bits of flour in your cake.
- Do not fill the mug to the brim with batter. Just fill it three-fourths through to give it room to rise as it bakes.
- Do not overcook the batter as it will turn dry. It is okay for the mug cake to have a soft center as you pull it out of the microwave; it will continue to cook as it cools.
- I recommend eating this immediately after cooling it slightly. Add the toppings that you want or just enjoy as is.
Possible Variations to Enjoy
- This easy mug cake recipe uses yellow cake mix, but feel free to make it into a luscious double chocolate chip cake in a mug by using a chocolate cake mix. Other cake mixes like vanilla and funfetti can also be used.
- Add a tablespoon of your favorite jam to the yellow cake mix and fold in dried, canned, or fresh fruit to make a fruit-flavored mug-cake!
- Aside from chocolate chips, you can also use chopped nuts, peanut butter chips, M&Ms, chopped candy bars, chopped pretzels, crushed peppermint candies, or chopped cookies for a variety of flavors and added texture.
- Amp it up by topping it with whip cream, chocolate frosting, a dollop of Nutella, or even ice cream.
- Drizzle it with caramel or chocolate sauce for some extra sweetness.
Mug cakes are best eaten warm out of the microwave or at room temperature. With how quick and easy it is to make, there is not even a need to make them ahead of time.
Frequently Asked Questions for this 3 Ingredient Mug Cake Recipe
You could use ½ Tablespoon of oil and 2 tablespoons of water (instead of the 1 Tablespoon of water and applesauce listed above).
Each microwave is a little different. You may need to adjust your cooking time. When the top feels spongy, it is done.
I used Duncan Hines. But you could use Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, or try with whatever brand you prefer.
You will have to keep them baking for longer if you have more than one mug in there.
It is possible that you beat the cake batter too much, or you might have overcooked it.
Sure, just swap the milk chocolate with dark chocolate chips. You might need to add a little bit of sugar to the batter if this is the case.
That is up to you. It will not be as convenient, and you’ll need extra ingredients.
If you’ve tried these Three Ingredient Chocolate Chip Mug Cake Recipe or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how they turned out. We love hearing from you! You can also follow along with me on FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM to see more colorful recipes!
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- 6 Tablespoons of yellow cake mix
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons apple sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of milk chocolate chips
- whipped cream, frosting, sprinkles, chocolate syrup Optional for topping
- Spray the inside of a microwave safe mug with non-stick spray (you want to use a mug that holds at least 8 ounces). Add the cake mix, water, applesauce and chocolate chips to your mug. Stir the ingredients together until smooth.
- Bake in the microwave at full power for 1 minute.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating.
- Garnish with whip cream, chocolate frosting or even ice cream!
Storage Notes:Mug cakes are best eaten warm out of the microwave or at room temperature. With how quick and easy it is to make, there is not even a need to make them ahead of time.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I don’t have any applesauce right now – what could I substitute? You could use ½ Tablespoon of oil and 2 tablespoons of water (instead of the 1 Tablespoon of water and applesauce listed above).
- My cake seems overdone /underdone- did I do something wrong? Each microwave is a little different. You may need to adjust your cooking time. When the top feels spongy, it is done.
- What brand of cake mix did you use? I used Duncan Hines. But you could use Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, or try with whatever brand you prefer.
- Can I microwave several mug cakes at the same time? You will have to keep them baking for longer if you have more than one mug in there.
- Why is my chocolate chip mug cake hard? It is possible that you beat the cake batter too much, or you might have overcooked it.
- Can I make it vegan? Sure, just swap the milk chocolate with dark chocolate chips. You might need to add a little bit of sugar to the batter if this is the case.
- Can I use my homemade cake batter recipe? That is up to you. It will not be as convenient, and you’ll need extra ingredients.