This rich and creamy Chicken and Dumplings with Tortillas recipe delivers all the delicious and heart-warming flavors and aroma of country home-style cooking but is easier and quicker to make. It is the perfect comfort food to serve your family on a cold winter day.
When I think of a comforting bowl of thick and luscious chicken and dumpling soup, I immediately envision a rosy-cheeked grandma with her apron on standing in front of the stove, looking proudly at a pot of soup simmering for hours. I would gladly devour a bowl of that, for sure! Unfortunately, I do not have the time or the inclination to make boiled-for-hours, dumpling-from-scratch soup. Luckily, I have this shortcut recipe that gives me the same amazing flavors and textures using canned creams, frozen veggies, and ready-made tortillas. You will have a steaming bowl of gloriously creamy and flavorful Chicken and Dumplings with Tortillas that everyone will love in just a few minutes.
Why This Recipe Works
- A one-pot, southern classic made easy! It is perfect for those busy weeknights when you need a cozy bowl of soup to warm you up!
- This easy chicken and tortilla dumplings recipe uses ingredients that are easy to find and can be stored easily so you can have them on hand when the craving strikes.
- It is an all-in-one dish! It is a protein-rich, carb-loaded, and veggie-laden soup that will instantly make you feel satisfied and full. Perfect for feeding a hungry, big crowd.
- Chicken broth
- Cream of chicken soup
- Cream of celery soup
- Boneless Chicken Breasts
- Frozen Carrots
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Flour tortillas
Kitchen Tools Used
- Dutch oven
- Pizza cutter
- Measuring cup
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings with Tortillas
- Slice tortillas into 1-inch squares using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife.
- Cut chicken into small bite-size pieces
- Pour the chicken broth in a large Dutch oven or large, heavy bottom pot over medium heat
- Whisk the cream of chicken soup and the cream of celery soup and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add frozen carrots, chicken, onion powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Adjust to medium-high heat to boil.
- Gently add the tortillas to the broth mixture.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer for 15 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the milk, stir until well blended.
Helpful Tips for you!
- Make sure to use room temperature or warm cream and milk to prevent them from curdling once added to the simmering chicken mixture.
- Maintain a low simmer once the tortilla cubes have been added, do not bring it to a rolling boil. Stir gently in a circular motion using a wooden spoon, so they do not tear or break down.
- If you have leftover rotisserie chicken, then this is the perfect recipe to use it with. However, since they are already seasoned, make sure to do a taste test before adding more salt or pepper.
Variations and Serving Suggestions for Chicken and Dumplings with Tortillas
Ladle the soup into a big bowl and serve right away! You can garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley if you want to add some bright, fresh flavors and color before serving. You can pair it with a lovely homemade crusty bread, Soft Pretzel or Cornbread! I would totally use those to soak every delicious drop of this soupy recipe!
If you want to add a bit of kick to your soup, you can add a dash of chili powder. You can also use sour cream instead of milk for that tangy finish. However, make sure to add more broth if it becomes too thick.
Place leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. This soup reheats beautifully. You can ladle some in a bowl and heat in a microwave or place in pot and heat on a stovetop. In case it has become a bit dry, add a splash of broth or a dab of milk. Or you may store it in the freezer for up to 2 months (freezer bags work well for this).
If you prefer, you can easily make your own homemade dumplings with this recipe! And if you are looking for a heitheir, gluten free option, you can use corn tortillas!
You could use the same amount of vegetable or chicken stock. Or you could use 2 cups of water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons of chicken bouillon powder.
You could replace this with a second can of cream of chicken soup.
You can absolutely use whatever leftover chicken you have – any combination of white and brown will work, or just one or the other.
You could chop 1 small onion or use 1 Tablespoon of dried onion flakes.
used 2 percent, but you are welcome to use whatever milk, or even heavy cream, that you have.
If you’ve tried these CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS WITH TORTILLAS or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how they turned out. We love hearing from you! You can also follow along with me on FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM to see more colorful recipes!
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, 10 ounce
- 1 can cream of celery soup, 10 ounce
- 2 cups carrots, frozen, sliced
- 2 cups chicken, chopped or shredded (rotisserie works really well)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup milk
- Place the chicken broth into a dutch oven or large heavy bottom pot. Turn the heat on to medium.
- Whisk in the cream of chicken soup and the cream of celery soup. Allow this to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen carrots, chicken, onion powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Bring this to a boil.
- Cut the tortillas into 1” squares, using a pizza cutter.
- Gently add the tortillas to the soup. Press them down but do not stir vigorously as they will tear.
- Bring to a boil again, then reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the milk.