Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Make this hearty and soul-warming Chicken Noodle Soup in just a few minutes using your Instant Pot! There is nothing like a steaming bowl of tender chicken strips, egg noodles, and hearty veggies in a flavorful broth to keep your whole family warm and toasty on a cold winter night!
The air has gone chilly and will soon turn frosty- which means soup season is upon us! And what better way to kick it off than with a bowl of classic, homemade Chicken Noodle Soup made from scratch? This soup has always been our go-to recipe when we need a restorative broth when feeling under the weather, as a “pick-me-up” soul-food when in need of comfort, and, of course, to instantly ward off the numbing coldness that winter brings. Serve it with a crusty bread or freshly baked Pretzels on the side for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Super Easy Chicken Noodle Soup from Scratch
Sometimes just the thought of how long it would take to make a delicious chicken noodle soup from scratch can make us consider those sodium-rich packed instant noodles instead. I get it, when you are not feeling well or need something to warm you up quickly, standing in front of the stove is not what you need. While I am not one to judge, I certainly am not a fan. At least not when I discovered that I can make a comforting bowl of chicken noodle soup using fresh ingredients at home in a fraction of the time using my trusted kitchen partner- my Instant Pot!
Why This Recipe Works
- Using an instant pot significantly cuts the cooking time but still delivers that ‘boiled-for-hours’ deliciousness that we all crave! Instant pot recipes for the win!
- Just one pot to clean makes a busy mama happy!
- Clean your fridge up and use your leftover veggies to amp up the flavor and nutrition!
- This instant pot chicken noodle soup recipe is not only full-on flavorful; it is also packed with nutritional benefits!
Ingredients Needed To Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Bay leaf
- Fresh parsley
- Salted butter
- Chicken bouillon powder
- Egg noodles
Kitchen Tools You’ll Need
- Instant pot
- Garlic press
How to make the Best Chicken Noodle Soup using Instant Pot
- Mix all the ingredients in the pot except for the noodles.
- Pressure cook for 12 minutes. Once done, you can do either a natural or quick release.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken from the pot and place it on a chopping board to rest.
- Add the noodles and press the sauté function. (you will leave the lid off and stir occasionally)
- Cook noodles for around 5 minutes or until al dente.
- While the noodles are cooking, shred chicken into bite-sized strips. Add them into the soup mixture.
- Remove bay leaves and serve!
Helpful tips for you!
- Cooking time for noodles depends on the type and brand you are using. I recommend following the instructions written on the package for best results.
- Turn the heat off once the noodles are supple but still have a firm bite in them, though. Remember that they will continue to cook even when in the bowl.
- If you are making this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup ahead, do not add the noodles yet as they will absorb the flavorful chicken broth and will make them soggy. Just cook them a few minutes before mealtime starts.
The soup may be kept in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. I like to store it in smaller airtight containers that are easy to reheat.
Frequently Asked Questions for Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Yes, increase the cooking time to 15 minutes. If you want to double-check that your chicken is fully cooked, the internal temperature of cooked chicken should be at least 165 degrees F.
Feel free to use a whole chicken or whatever pieces you like. You will want to cook the whole chicken for 6 minutes per pound.
Absolutely! Just remove the skin before using it. You will also need to reduce cook time, use low pressure and do a quick release.
Yes. Use about 2 Tablespoons of dried parsley.
The chicken broth adds a lot of flavor to the soup. You could substitute chicken stock if you like. Or vegetable broth would work too. If you prefer, you could create your own chicken broth using water and chicken bouillon granules or cubes. Use 1 teaspoon of granules or 1 cube per cup of water.
Sure, just use ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 pounds chicken breast
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1 piece bay leaf
- ½ cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter salted
- 2 Tablespoons chicken bouillon powder
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces egg noodles about 2 cups
- Put the chicken, broth, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, fresh parsley, butter, chicken bouillon powder, thyme, salt, and pepper into the pot. (everything but the noodles) Stir to mix.
- Set the instant pot to pressure cook for 12 minutes.
- When cooking time is over you may use the quick release or natural release.
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Place it on a clean cutting board and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- While the chicken is resting, add the egg noodles to the instant pot and hit the saute function.
- While the noodles are boiling, shred the chicken.
- Boil until the noodles are just turning soft. (it will probably take no more than 5 minutes)
- Add the shredded chicken back to the pot.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.