A classic Meatloaf recipe made using an Instant Pot. This easy recipe is a sure-fire way to make moist and flavorful meatloaf topped with a savory-sweet glaze every time.
Serve this hearty loaf of meaty goodness with a side of mashed potatoes for a filling meal your family will enjoy!
A Classic Comfort Dish
Honestly, I never really liked meatloaf growing up. I think hearing Randy’s voice (from A Christmas Story) in my head saying, “meatloaf, smeatloaf, double beef loaf,” kinda ruined it for me!
But it was a phase I quickly grew out of and a dish I soon learned to love! Especially when it comes covered with enough brown sugar in the glaze and paired with creamy mashed potatoes!
Instant Pot Meatloaf Recipe
Now that I have a better appreciation of this dish, I decided to make one using my Instant Pot. And I couldn’t be happier with the result. The meatloaf came out juicy and super flavorful.
If there’s one thing I dread, it’s dried-out meatloaf. But I was pleasantly surprised with how moist and tender it was on the inside.
I’m such a big fan of this wonderful kitchen appliance, I also used it to make my Holiday Turkey Breast recipe, and it was indeed a game changer for me! It delivers every single time!
Why this recipe works:
- It’s an effortless Instant pot recipe that you can quickly bring together in just 10 minutes.
- This homemade meatloaf comes with a fantastic glaze bursting with sweet and umami taste that gives the loaf tons of flavor.
- Mixed in a bowl and cooked in a pot- that’s all you have to take care of post-dinner.
- Ground beef
- Onion, diced
- Bread crumbs
- Garlic, minced
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh parsley
Kitchen Tools and Equipment Needed:
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
- Instant pot
- Pastry brush
- Baking sheet
How to Make Instant Pot Meatloaf
1. Mix all the meatloaf ingredients in a large mixing bowl using your hands or a spoon.
2. Create a loaf pan the size of the instant pot trivet using tin foil and place the meatloaf mixture into it. See the pictures below as a guide.
4. Place the trivet into the instant pot, handles up for easy removal later on. Pour ½ cup of water and place the meatloaf on top of the trivet. Lock and seal, then cook on high pressure for 40 minutes. Do a quick release.
5. While waiting for pressure to be released, quickly make the glaze by whisking the ketchup, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce together.
6. Remove the meatloaf from the IP and place it on a baking sheet then spread the glaze on top of the meatloaf using a spatula or pastry brush. Place the glazed meatloaf in the oven broil for 5-7 minutes, or until bubbly.
Expert Tip when Making Instant Pot Meatloaf
- Do not over mix the meatloaf, or it will turn out tough and dense instead of tender and moist. On the other hand, make sure it is mixed well enough to not leave any dry ingredients visible.
- When shaping it, do not press the meat mixture down too hard. Just scoop and place evenly into the makeshift meatloaf pan. Packing it too tightly will result in dry or even uncooked meat inside.
- Use lean ground beef for the best result. Do not use ground beef with too much fat, or your meatloaf will be greasy instead or juicy.
- Let the cooked meatloaf cool down for at least 10 minutes before slicing. Resting it will allow the moisture to distribute throughout the loaf, so you lose less juice when cutting.
Storing Leftover Meatloaf:
If you wrap the meatloaf well, it will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge. You may freeze the meatloaf before or after cooking for up to 3 months.
- This meatloaf paired perfectly with mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, or baked potatoes. You can also serve it with rice or pasta for a full meal.
- Or, you can also make a meatloaf sandwich. Just place it between two slices of bread and stack it up with your fave sandwich veggies like lettuce and tomatoes.
- Aside from potatoes, it will also go great with some roasted asparagus, glazed carrots, buttered corn, green beans, and salad greens.
Frequently Asked Questions for Instant Pot Meatloaf :
If you would like to double-check, the internal temperature should be 160 degrees. Don’t worry that the meatloaf looks quite light. That is just due to the cooking method. Once you broil the meatloaf with the glaze, it will be just right!
No, you don’t need to use all of it on the meatloaf for broiling, but do be generous. If you have extra glaze, it is perfect on the side for dipping!
Yes, bake it at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Yes! It will need to cook for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
Absolutely! Try making it with ground turkey. Or use a mixture of ground beef with ground pork or Italian sausage.
If you’ve tried this INSTANT POT MEATLOAF or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how they turned out. We love hearing from you! You can also follow along with me on FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM to see more colorful recipes!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, using your hands or a spoon, gently mix ground beef, onion, eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic, milk, italian seasoning, parsley, salt, pepper, and ketchup. Do not overmix or it will create a tough loaf.
- Shape this mixture into a round loaf. Place it on a large piece of tin foil. Create a loaf pan around the loaf by crimping the edges of the foil around the meatloaf. It should be about the size of the instant pot trivet.
- Put the trivet into the instant pot. Make sure the handles are pointed up to make the loaf easier to remove later. Place ½ cup of water into the instant pot, then put the meatloaf onto the trivet. Lock the lid into place. Pressure cook on high power for 40 minutes. When cooking time is over, you may use the quick release.
- While the pressure is releasing, you can make the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, and worcestershire sauce.
- Remove the meatloaf from the IP and place it on a baking sheet then spread the glaze on top of the meatloaf using a spatula or pastry brush. Place the glazed meatloaf in the oven broil for 5-7 minutes, or until bubbly.