Taco lovers rejoice! This amazing recipe is the ultimate Mexican casserole that delivers all the authentic flavors and textures of your favorite soft taco in a layered pie form!
It is made of irresistible layers of deliciously-spiced ground beef, gooey cheese, and flour tortillas baked in one go for the whole family to enjoy.
Who can say no to a heavenly slice of this savory pie?
Who can ever say no to tacos? Definitely not me or anyone else in my family!
They are full of flavor from the spices, seasonings, veggies, and sauces used in making them. And it can turn into quite a messy affair, for sure!
One that I have never minded as long as we get to enjoy this family favorite once in a while. Until I tried making this Layered Taco Pie, that is!
Now we get to enjoy the same scrumptious meal but with fewer spills and stains.
Everything stays on the plate even when you load it up with your favorite Taco toppings like green onions, tomatoes, green chiles, fresh cilantro, shredded lettuce, and a dollop of sour cream.
What is Layered Taco Pie?
Some may call it Taco Bake, Taco Casserole, or Taco Lasagnas. But however you choose to name this dish, one thing remains the same.
This baked, pie-like version of the famous Mexican comfort food is absolutely to die for!
The ingredients are basically the same, but instead of the traditional way of serving the meat fillings and toppings folded in a tortilla held by hand, this easy Taco Pie recipe is made of layers of tortillas taco meat mixture, and melty cheese baked in a round pan.
It is cooked like a pie, sliced like a pie, and served with the usual veggies and sauces on top.
Why This Recipe Works
- No spills, less mess! This easy recipe is a great way to enjoy tacos without worrying about getting your hand, clothes, or table dirty! If you want to see your kids eat tacos without getting all grubby, this recipe is the answer!
- This Layered Taco Pie is a great meal to make on busy weeknights. It is a combination of proteins, carbs, and veggies that will only take you 20 minutes to prepare. Then, you can leave it to your oven to do the rest.
- It is a fun recipe to try on your next taco night. Something different but still keeping up with the taco Tuesday theme. It is guaranteed to be a huge hit!
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Flour tortillas
- Mexican cheese
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
- Springform pan
- Large skillet
How to Make the Best Layered Taco Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare an 8-inch springform pan by spraying it with nonstick spray.
Step 1: Use a large skillet to scramble fry the ground beef. Drain excess fat, then add garlic, taco seasoning, water, corn, and salsa. Cook for 5 more minutes.
Step 2: Place a tortilla in the prepared springform pan. Add a layer of beef mixture on top, then sprinkle ½ cup cheese. Repeat layers until you have made 4 full ones. Cover with a final tortilla and cover it with remaining shredded cheese.
Step 3: Bake for 20 minutes. Let the Layered Taco Pie cool in the pan before slicing. Enjoy!
Tips when Making Layered Taco Pie
- Defrost your ground beef before cooking it to ensure that it will brown properly. It will also be easier for you to crumble beef at room temperature.
- Make sure to remove as much excess oil from the beef mixture as you can or the tortilla will turn soggy. Using lean ground beef is easier and recommended.
- I liked the springform pan for this recipe because it came out beautifully and made it easy to assemble but, you could do the same in a 9X9 casserole dish or pie pan.
- If you like to double up on the flavors, you can easily use 2 packets of taco seasoning mix instead of one.
FAQs for Layered Taco Pie
Yes, you could easily substitute ground turkey or shredded chicken. Or, if you want to make it meatless, you could use canned beans or refried beans.
Absolutely! You can use sharp cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, or Monterey Jack if that is what you have.
You could use a square or round casserole dish.
Use a mix of 1 Tablespoon of chili powder and 1 teaspoon of cumin instead.
Yes – they will work just as well, but I would heat it in the microwave first to thaw, then drain it so it doesn’t water down the pie.
Sure! They will work well in this recipe. Or you could substitute whole corn tortillas or shells if you prefer.
1 can of Rotel would be a great substitute. If you don’t have that, you could use a small can of tomatoes and chop up a green bell pepper to add to that.
Any leftover Layered Taco Pie should be kept in a lidded container or wrapped in foil before storing. It will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days or for up to 3 months in the freezer.
To reheat, thaw first if frozen, then use either your microwave when warming single servings or your oven when reheating a larger portion.
If you’ve tried these LAYERED TACO PIE RECIPE or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how they turned out. We love hearing from you!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- ¼ cup water
- 1 can corn, 12 ounce, , drained
- 5 pieces flour tortillas, 8 inch
- 1 ½ cups salsa
- 2 cups mexican or tex mex cheese, shredded (pre-shredded is fine)
- Garnish with sliced green onions, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, shredded lettuce, sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8-inch springform pan by spraying it with nonstick spray.
- Scramble fry the ground beef with onion in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Cook until there is no pink left in the meat then drain the excess fat. Add the garlic, taco seasoning, water, corn, and salsa. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place one tortilla in the springform pan.
- Layer on about 1 cup of meat mixture. Sprinkle on ½ cup of cheese. Create layers of tortilla, meat mixture, and cheese until you’ve done 4 full layers. Finish with the 5th tortilla and top off your pie with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the springform pan and cutting. Or you may serve it directly from the pan
Storage Instructions:Any leftover Layered Taco Pie should be kept in a lidded container or wrapped in foil before storing. It will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days or for up to 3 months in the freezer. To reheat, thaw first if frozen, then use either your microwave when warming single servings or your oven when reheating a larger portion.
FAQs for Layered Taco Pie
- Can I use a different kind of protein?
- Can I use different kinds of cheese?
- I don’t have a springform pan – what could I use instead?
- I don’t have taco seasoning – what else could I use?
- Could I use frozen or fresh corn instead?
- Could I substitute whole wheat tortillas in this recipe?
- I don’t have any salsa – is there something I could substitute?