Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
Poppy seed chicken casserole is a comforting, delicious casserole that is perfect for a cozy night in or for serving to a crowd. It’s a delicious and easy-to-make comfort food that is sure to become a new favorite.
Table of contents
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- This recipe is basically a mix and bake! Just stir all the ingredients together in a bowl, add the topping and bake! Super simple
- Because it’s a casserole, it’s easy to transport to potlucks or BBQs, making it a great choice for feeding a crowd.
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Ingredients
- Shredded Chicken
- Sour Cream
- Cream of Chicken
- Ritz Crackers
- Poppy Seeds
- Butter, melted
- Garlic Powder
*see recipe card for full amounts
How to Make Poppy Seed Chicken
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350°F.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, sour cream, poppy seeds, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix until well combined.
Step 3: Transfer the mixture to a 9×13-inch casserole dish and smooth the top.
Step 4: Bake the casserole for 30-35 minutes, or until it is hot and bubbly.
Step 5: Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve as is, or on top of a bed of rice! It also pairs well with a variety of side dishes, such as roasted vegetables, a simple salad, or a crusty loaf of bread.
Storage and Reheating Notes
This dish is best when enjoyed fresh but can be reheated for delicious leftovers!
IN THE FRIDGE: Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
REHEATING INSTRUCTIONS: To reheat, place the leftovers in a small microwave dish and warm in 30-40 second increments until fully heated through. (pro-tip: if you have an air fryer, you can put the leftover poppyseed casserole in an oven safe baking dish that fits in your basket and cook for 5-7 minutes at 350 degrees F until warmed through. This is a great way to make cracker topping crispy again!)
Overall, poppy seed chicken casserole is a delicious and easy-to-make comfort food that is sure to become a new favorite. So next time you’re looking for a comforting, flavorful casserole, give poppy seed chicken a try – you won’t be disappointed!
Try Some of My Other Favorite Casserole Recipes
Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- 9X13 Baking Dish
- Mixing Bowl
- 5 cups Chicken cooked, shredded
- 2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Parmesan shredded
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds heaping
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Pepper to taste
- 2 sleeves Ritz Crackers
- 1 stick Butter
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, poppy seeds, parmesan cheese, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the poppy seed casserole mixture to a greased 9×13-inch casserole dish and smooth out the top.
- Crush two sleeves of Ritz crackers over the casserole in an even layer, then pour the melted butter evenly over top of the cracker topping.
- Bake the casserole for 30-35 minutes, or until it is hot and bubbly.
- Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve as is, or on top of a bed of rice!
I would add a bag of frozen peas to this to make it an all inclusive meal! Serve with a side salad!
The instructions say add mayonnaise but it’s not listed as an ingredient. which one is correct?
the recipe is updated, you can substitute mayo for the sour cream if you prefer. 🙂
made this tonight for supper. I omitted the poppy seed and used a large can of white chicken,,,,but it was great.