How to Make Taco Bell Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
This 5-minute, delightfully easy copycat recipe will show you how to make Creamy Jalapeno Sauce that is tangy, mildly zesty, and downright delicious- just like the one you enjoy at Taco Bell! Serve this together with your favorite Mexican signature dishes like burritos, quesadillas, tacos, nachos, and many more. You are in for a real, saucy treat!
Copycat Taco Bell Quesadilla Sauce
This Creamy Jalapeno Sauce is Taco Bell’s signature chicken Quesadilla sauce. You might be asking, Does Taco Bell sell creamy jalapeno sauce? You can find it at most local grocery stores but this version uses mayo and sour cream as a base mixed with pickled jalapenos and various spices to achieve that perfect blend of warm, tangy, and mildly spicy flavors that we all love…super easy to make fresh and half of the price of a bottle at the store!
Despite the use of jalapeno peppers, chili powder, and cayenne pepper, this homemade recipe is not at all that spicy. You will experience a pleasant tingling, but it is not as fiery as you would expect! Try it with my Chicken Fajita Crunchwrap or my Taco Bell Chalupa copycat recipes!
Why this Recipe Works
- This is a “dump-‘em-all” in a food processor or blender type of recipe that hardly requires any effort at all! So easy for something so amazing scrummy!
- Easy-to-find, simple ingredients and spices are all it requires to make this at home. You can make this dip MANY times with ingredients you usually have in the fridge and pantry.
- This copycat sauce is very versatile. You can drizzle it over your fried or grilled meats, as a dipping sauce, or even as a salad dressing.
- You can adjust the spice level by increasing or decreasing the amount of jalapenos, chili powder, and cayenne pepper used to make the sauce.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Sour cream
- Pickled jalapeno peppers
- Pickled jalapeno pepper juice
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
- Medium bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Wooden spoon or spatula
How to Make Taco Bell Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
STEP 1: Take the pickled jalapenos out of the jar. Pat them dry and dice them into small pieces that can easily be mixed into the finished sauce.
STEP 2: Add all the ingredients to a medium bowl bowl.
STEP 3: Using a whisk or spoon, mix together all the ingredients until combined, making sure to scrape the sides of a bowl with a spatula to incorporate all the spices, and refrigerate before serving to allow the flavors to fuse together.
Optional: Use a food processor if you want a smoother and creamier sauce. It’ll be quicker!
Helpful Tips and Tricks
- You are free to make the adjustments as you please. Add more jalapenos, or jalapeno juice and ground cayenne, or some red pepper flakes to give the sauce a stronger kick. But, if you think it will have too much heat for you, take out the jalapeno peppers and cayenne pepper. The only thing I’d recommend is that you add just a little at a time as those can be quite powerful!
- The sauce will taste so much better once the flavors have time to harmonize. I suggest making it at least an hour before and letting it sit in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For the best result, make sure that the spices you are using are still fresh and have not been exposed to air and moisture. Store your spices in a cool, dry place and in airtight jars to preserve their freshness longer.
Possible Variations and Substitutions
- Fresh jalapenos can also work with this recipe. You could substitute 2 Tablespoons of fresh minced jalapeno pepper and 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar for the pickled jalapeno pepper juice. Or you could use 2 Tablespoons of canned green chilis and a little bit of the juice. The different ingredients will slightly change the texture and flavor but will still be yummy.
- You can substitute sour cream with full-fat, plain yogurt. If you’re a cheese lover, you can also use softened cream cheese.
- You can also use fresh onion and garlic for this sauce. Just make sure you dice them finely or grate them instead. Take note that they will have a more robust taste, so you will need to use less than the recommended amount in this recipe.
- You can add a little bit of granulated sugar or honey to your mixture if you want a tad bit of sweetness on your sauce.
- If you want a cheesy version of this Creamy Jalapeno Sauce , you can definitely make it happen! I would recommend using a three-cheese blend. Or use a combination of cheddar, pepper jack, Monterey cheese, or cream cheese. You could melt the cheese in to create a creamy cheese sauce. Or, a cup of shredded cheese would make a perfect topping for the sauce.
- You can even serve it warm. Heat it in the microwave at medium-high heat for about 30 seconds. Make sure to stir it well, so there are no hot spots.
You may store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Or you may freeze this for up to 2 months. I like to use a well-sealed freezer bag to store this sauce. Since this creamy jalapeno sauce uses mayonnaise and sour cream, it should not be left at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
FAQs about Copycat Taco Bell Quesadilla Sauce
This works well served with many different things. It is an excellent accompaniment to a cheese quesadilla, burrito bowls or really any Mexican dish! I like to put a couple of tablespoons of the sauce inside homemade quesadillas. It is a great sauce for chicken or wings as well. You could also use it as a dipping sauce for veggies or even as a delicious salad dressing on a taco salad. Another serving idea would be to place it in a small bowl at the center of a tray and place tortilla chips around it.
The full recipe makes about 1 ½ cups of sauce.
Yes! In fact, this is one of those great recipes that tastes even better the next day!
No, Baja Sauce is more of a spicy Ranch version that is not added to Taco Bell’s quesadillas.
It can be because you added too much juice, or the pickles had too much liquid when you added it. If this is the case, you can add more mayonnaise to make it thicker.
If you’ve tried this TACO BELL CREAMY JALAPENO SAUCE or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how they turned out. We love hearing from you! You can also follow along with me on FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM to see more colorful recipes!
How to Make Taco Bell Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons pickled jalapeno peppers diced
- 2 Tablespoons pickled jalapeno pepper juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Mix all the ingredients well in a medium bowl or using a food processor until you’ve created a creamy sauce.
Storing Jalapeno SauceYou may store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Or you may freeze this for up to 2 months. I like to use a well-sealed freezer bag to store this sauce. Since this creamy jalapeno sauce uses mayonnaise and sour cream, it should not be left at room temperature for more than 2 hours. FAQs about Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
- What could I serve with this flavorful jalapeno sauce? This works well served with many different things. It is an excellent accompaniment to a cheese quesadilla or really any Mexican dish! I like to put a couple of tablespoons of the sauce inside homemade quesadillas. It is a great sauce for chicken or wings as well. You could also use it as a dipping sauce for veggies or even as a delicious salad dressing on a taco salad. Another serving idea would be to place it in a small bowl at the center of a tray and place tortilla chips around it.
- How much does the full recipe make? The full recipe makes about 1 ½ cups of sauce.
- Does this creamy jalapeño sauce keep well? Yes! In fact, this is one of those great recipes that tastes even better the next day!
- Can this taco bell sauce be served warm? Yes! You could warm it in the microwave at medium-high heat for about 30 seconds. Make sure to stir it well, so there are no hot spots.
- Why is my Creamy Jalapeno Sauce watery? It can be because you added too much juice, or the pickles had too much liquid when you added it. If this is the case, you can add more mayonnaise to make it thicker.
I’ve always wondered how they make their jalapeno sauce – this is great and will save me money!
I made this and then literally dipped EVERYTHING into it hehe it’s delicious!
This is so easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious! We love it in quesadillas.
I didn’t know how much I needed this in my life, but I use it on everything now!
Versatile ! Think I’ll try it on ham as well.