Air Fryer Monterey Chicken
If you’re looking for a fast and simple weeknight dinner, this Air Fryer Monterey Chicken is the best! Simple ingredients, fresh flavor, and every bite will leave you craving more. Just when you thought it wasn’t possible to love your air fryer even more, along comes this deliciously easy Monterey chicken recipe!
AIR FRYER MONTEREY CHICKEN
Can I be honest with you for a moment? Sometimes, I don’t want to make dinner. Shocking, right? And in those times, this is where I rely on my quick dinner recipes to save me. What I love about this easy chicken recipe is that it’s ready in just about 30 minutes of time. This feeds the family, fuels our bodies, and gives our tastebuds a true treat! It’s such an easy recipe that the whole family will love.
TRY SOME OF MY OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES:
I keep chicken on hand all the time because it’s so versatile to cook. Here are some of our delicious chicken dishes that’ll have you stocking up on chicken the next time you’re at the store: Instant Pot Chicken Legs, Chicken Gyros, Chicken and Dumplings
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- Cheese and bacon – need I say more?
- Using the air fryer means less clean-up for you!
- This Monterey Jack chicken recipe is the perfect serving size for 2-3 people!
- Chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Seasoning salt
- Barbeque sauce
- Monterey jack cheese
- Cheddar cheese
*see recipe card for detailed measurements
KITCHEN SUPPLIES YOU’LL NEED
- Air fryer
- Meat mallet
- Cheese grater
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRIED MONTEREY CHICKEN
1. Cook the bacon. Add the bacon to the air fryer and cook at 370 degrees for 9 minutes. Flip the bacon after that time and then cook for 2 more minutes. (may need to cook longer if it’s not completely cooked) Once the bacon has cooled down after cooking, crumble it up and set it aside to use later.
2. Cut the chicken. Grab the chicken breasts and butterfly them to make four pieces. They need to be about 1/4 inch thick. (If they’re thicker than that, you can use a rolling pin to flatten them out!)
3. Season the chicken. Once they’re cut and flat, season the chicken breast with oil, pepper and seasoning salt.
4. Cook the chicken. Add the seasoned chicken to the air fryer and cook at 370 degrees for 6 minutes. Flip the chicken once that time has passed and bake for an additional 6 minutes.
5. Add the BBQ sauce. Once the chicken has cooked, add the barbecue sauce to the chicken. (about 1 tablespoon per piece of chicken) Add the cheese and bacon on top and be sure to divide equally.
6. Bake. Put the chicken back into the air fryer and bake for another 2 minutes at 360 degrees.
7. Add toppings. Sprinkle on parsley and chopped tomatoes – enjoy!
HELPFUL TIPS & TRICKS
- Use a meat thermometer – Anytime that you’re cooking chicken, a meat thermometer will become your next best friend. You can easily find peace of mind knowing that the chicken is cooked all the way by checking the internal temperature. As long as it’s at least 165 degrees, it should be good to eat!
- Don’t have a rolling pin to flatten the chicken? A meat mallet works too! (plus it’s a good way to pound out some aggression!)
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS
- If you want to cut down on some of the fat content, you can opt for using turkey bacon in this simple chicken recipe.
- Fresh cilantro is also super delicious to add on top of this chicken dish. Anything fresh that is an herb is great!
- Change the type of cheese – Even though the legit title of this recipe is Monterey Chicken, you can always use any type of cheese that you want. Change it up so that you can change up the flavor.
- Top with green onions – This air fryer chicken breast pairs so good with freshly chopped onions!
- Rotisserie chicken – If you have leftover chicken from the grocery store, you can keep it simple and use that. Using large chicken breasts is my favorite, but this is a close second!
- Eat with flour tortillas – You can add to flour tortillas (or corn tortillas) once this delicious meal is cooked. This is a fun way to enjoy eating juicy chicken breast topped with melty cheese and bacon!
- Chili powder- If you want some heat, adding some chili powder to the top of the chicken is a great way to make that happen!
- Add onion powder – Coating the pieces of chicken with a little bit of seasonings is a simple way to change up the flavor of this Monterey chicken dish.
This Monterey chicken recipe makes great leftovers! As long as you store it in an airtight container, it should last for 3-4 days in the fridge. I promise you that this tastes to good the next day!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I freeze Leftover Chicken?
Freezing leftovers of this chicken recipe are easy! Store it in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to thaw and eat, put it in the fridge to thaw overnight. You can then reheat it in the microwave or put it back in the air fryer.
Reheating in the air fryer will take about 4 minutes at 350 degrees.
Can I double this Monterey Jack chicken recipe easily?
You bet! You’ll just need to figure out the timing to add it to your air fryer since you don’t want to overcrowd.
How do I make this without an air fryer?
You can use your grill during the summer months or even fry up the chicken and then finish it under the broiler in the oven! So many great ways to cook this dish.
What side dishes pair well with this Monterey Chicken recipe?
You can easily enjoy this dish with pasta, rice, steamed veggies, air fryer broccoli, or mashed potatoes! A side salad would be a great option, too. But…if you’re wanting to pair this with some french fries, I’m not gonna judge!
If you’ve made this recipe or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how they turned out. We love hearing from you! You can also follow along with me on FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM to see more colorful recipes!
Air Fryer Monterey Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 5 pieces bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 tomato chopped
- fresh parsley
- Add the bacon to the air fryer and cook at 370 degrees for 9 minutes. Flip the bacon after that time and then cook for 2 more minutes. (may need to cook longer if it's not completely cooked) Once the bacon has cooled down after cooking, crumble it up and set it aside to use later.
- Grab the chicken breasts and butterfly them to make four pieces. They need to be about 1/4 inch thick. (If they're thicker than that, you can use a rolling pin to flatten them out!)
- Season the chicken. Once they're cut and flat, season the chicken breast with salt and pepper, oil, and seasoning.
- Add the seasoned chicken to the air fryer and cook at 370 degrees for 6 minutes. Flip the chicken once that time has passed and bake for an additional 6 minutes.
- Once the chicken has cooked, add the barbecue sauce to the chicken. (about 1 tablespoon per each piece of chicken) Add the cheese and bacon on top and be sure to divide equally.
- Put the chicken back into the air fryer and bake for another 2 minutes at 360 degrees.
- Sprinkle on parsley and chopped tomatoes – enjoy!