Easy Lasagna Soup Recipe
This Lasagna Soup recipe is the perfect hearty soup! Who says you can’t combine two stellar dishes and make them one perfect recipe? Every bite will have the flavor of traditional lasagna but in soup form! So good and so easy to make!
Easy Lasagna Soup Recipe
What I love about this delicious lasagna soup is that it’s fast and simple. The rich sauce and tender noodles pair well with the chicken broth and ground beef to create a totally fun and unique spoonful of goodness. The whole family will have a blast adding toppings and spices to their own bowls to make their own eating experience unique.
This great soup recipe is a MUST for anyone who loves easy recipes. And did I mention that while this is yummy for cold winter nights, it’s also perfect for spring, summer, and fall, too?! Once I realized that my large dutch oven could cook up this one pot lasagna soup in less than an hour of time, I added this to our meal planning rotation asap!
Try some of my other favorite hearty recipes:
You can never have too many soup recipes or hearty dinner recipes in your meal planning rotation. These are just a few that we love: Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup, Rump Roast in the Crock Pot, Blackstone Smash Burgers
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- You get that homemade lasagna taste with every bite without the hours of cook time.
- It has ingredients that the entire family will love and will be one of your favorite soups in no time at all!
- You can pair this delicious recipe up with cheesy garlic bread, which we all know is a big win.
Lasagna Soup Ingredients
- Vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- Lean ground beef
- Yellow onion
- Pasta sauce
- Chicken broth
- Crushed tomatoes
- Italian seasoning
- Granulated sugar
- Lasagna noodles
*see recipe card for detailed measurements
KITCHEN SUPPLIES YOU’LL NEED
- Dutch Oven
- Wooden spoon
How to make Dutch Oven Lasagna Soup
Step 1: Start by heating up 1 T of oil in your dutch oven pan. You’ll want to do this at medium-heat. Once the pan is hot, add the ground beef and the diced onion. Use your wooden spoon to crumble up the beef, and make sure to cook the beef until it’s browned all the way. You should see no pink at all in the meat.
Step 2: Once the meat is browned, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute of time. Drain off any excess fat from the cooked beef.
Step 3: Stir in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, pasta sauce, and pepper.
Step 4: Let the mixture boil, and then turn down the heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
Step 5: As the pasta sauce mixture is cooking, start to cook the pasta noodles. Read the directions on the side of the lasagna noodles box and cook them until they’re al dente. Once the noodles are cooked, cut them into bite-sized pieces using kitchen scissors and put them into the soup at the end of the cooking time.
Step 6: Serve with cheese and other toppings as a garnish.
STORAGE AND RE-HEATING NOTES
You’re going to love eating the leftovers of this hearty soup! The best way to store them for later is to add the pasta and cheese to their own airtight container and freezer as serving sizes. The leftovers will be good in the fridge for up to 3 days and will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND VARIATIONS
Don’t like ground beef? Swap it out for chicken, Italian sausage, or ground turkey, or just leave out the meal altogether and create a vegetarian lasagna soup. You have options, and options are good!
If you’re missing out on the joy of owning a dutch oven, no worries. You can make this in a large skillet on the stove or a large pan. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!
Change up the flavor of the broth – I love using chicken broth in this recipe but you can easily use beef broth or even vegetable broth as well. While they all have their own individual flavors and taste, they’re all totally fine to use.
If you like spice, spice it up! Adding chili pepper flakes or red pepper flakes to your own soup bowl is a great option! Even adding a few dabs of hot sauce is a tasty idea!
What other types of cheese could be paired up with this soup recipe?
Any type of cheese will work, actually. Adding romano cheese is a great addition, and if you’re not a fan of ricotta cheese, cottage cheese is a great option as well. Don’t forget to add some parmesan cheese or shredded mozzarella cheese on top!
How can I make this easy lasagna soup thicker?
If you prefer a soup that is thicker in texture, you can add 2 T of cornstarch to a broth and then stir that into the soup or add in 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Both should be added near the END of cooking this recipe, so keep that in mind.
On the flip side, if you want to make the soup thinner, just add in some more broth.
Can I add the noodles right into the soup to cook instead of cooking them separately?
You bet. This is an easy way to make this soup into what I call lazy lasagna soup! I tend to cook the noodles separately, but you can add them in and cook them directly that way as well. You can add the noodles into the ingredients directly after they’ve come to a boil and that should cook them perfectly. (If you do add uncooked noodles right into the same pot, you’ll need to add at least 1 cup of EXTRA broth as well!)
What other pasta options besides regular lasagna noodles will work for this noodle soup recipe?
You can use uncooked shells (2 1/2 cups worth) if you don’t have lasagna noodles on hand! You can also use Mafalda pasta which is basically mini noodles!
If you’ve made this recipe or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how they turned out. We love hearing from you! You can also follow along with me on FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM to see more colorful recipes!
Easy Lasagna Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 jar pasta sauce 24 ounces
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 14 ounces
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 10 uncooked lasagna noodles
- mozzarella cheese shredded
- parmesan cheese grated
- ricotta cheese
- fresh parsley chopped
- Start by heating up 1 T of oil in your dutch oven pan. You'll want to do this at medium-heat. Once the pan is hot, add the ground beef and the diced onion. Use your wooden spoon to crumble up the beef and make sure to cook the beef until it's browned all the way. You should see no pink at all in the meat.
- Once the meat is browned, add the garlic and cook for 1 minute of time. Drain off any excess fat from the cooked beef.
- Stir in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar, salt, pasta sauce, and pepper.
- Let the mixture boil and then turn down the heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
- As the pasta sauce mixture is cooking, start to cook the pasta noodles. Read the directions on the side of the lasagna noodles box and cook them until they're al dente. Once the noodles are cooked, cut them into bite-sized pieces using kitchen scissors and put them into the soup at the end of the cooking time.
- Serve with cheese and other toppings as a garnish.