If you are looking for a sweet and fruity dessert that you can make in a snap, look no further than this Strawberry Mug Cake. It’s a light and airy cake, filled with fresh strawberries and done in just a few minutes using your microwave. Top it with some whipped cream or frosting, and you have a strawberry shortcake mug cake for one!
The Best Strawberry Mug Cake Recipe
With the strawberry season in full swing, I couldn’t resist making a fruity version of my Chocolate Chips Mug Cake. I guess I still can’t get over how a handful of simple ingredients mixed in a mug and baked in a microwave can result in such a delectable dessert! It’s amazing how lovely and flavorful it came out to be. The sweet strawberries mixed in the batter give a touch of luxury to an otherwise ordinary cake.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Mug cakes are notorious for being quick and easy to make. This recipe is no exception to that. Just chop, mix and toss it into the microwave for a minute, and you got yourself a luscious dessert.
- Although strawberries are considered seasonal fruit, they’re available almost all year round. Enjoy this anytime the craving for a sweet, fruity dessert hits! They are great when you need last-minute, simple desserts for Valentine’s day, Mother’s day, and even birthdays.
- This recipe is simple enough to let your kiddos take the lead without any kitchen mishaps. Turn it into a fun family bonding moment with a yummy strawberry dessert as their prize.
- This strawberry-flavored mug cake can be modified to your liking by using other fresh berries and fruits too. You can also play around with whatever toppings you want, really!
- It’s easy to change up with different cake mixes using my Mug Cake with Cake Mix Recipe!
- Boxed strawberry cake mix
Kitchen Supplies You’ll Need
- Large microwave-safe mug
- Measuring spoon
How to Make a Mug Cake with Cake Mix
- Spray the inside of a microwave-safe mug with non-stick cooking spray.
- Chop the juicy strawberries into small pieces and pat dry with a paper towel.
Step 1: Make the batter. Add the cake mix, water, apple sauce, and diced strawberry to the large mug. Stir the ingredients until smooth.
Step 2: Bake. Bake in the microwave oven at full power for 1 minute.
Step 3: Top and Enjoy. Allow the mug cake to cool slightly before eating. Garnish with whip cream, extra strawberries, or whatever topping you want.
Helpful Tips & Tricks
- Make sure that size of the mug is proportionate to the batter you’ll make. An 8 oz mug or larger is the perfect size for this recipe, so it does not spill and create a mess while baking.
- Pat your chopped strawberries dry before adding them to the batter to make sure your mug cake does not turn soggy. You can also cover them with all purpose flour first, so they do not bleed into the batter too much.
- Thoroughly mix your ingredients in the mug to avoid uncooked clumps of cake mix.
- Do not fill the mug to the brim with batter, as it will rise when heated. Fill it 3/4 of the way only.
- A microwave-safe ramekin is a perfect substitute if you do not have the right mug to use.
- To check if your cake is cooked, touch the top part. It’s done when it’s dry and firm. If it still feels gooey and wet, cook it in the microwave for a few more seconds.
Substitutions and Variations
- You can use crushed freeze-dried strawberries if you can’t find fresh ones.
- If you can’t find a strawberry cake mix, you can use a vanilla cake mix instead and just add more strawberry filling.
- If you don’t have any applesauce, substitute it with ½ Tablespoon of oil and 2 Tablespoons of water (instead of the 1 Tablespoon of water and applesauce listed above) instead.
- Pop your cake out of the mug, cut it in half, and layer it with some frosting and fresh strawberries. It’ll look like freshly bought mini strawberry cakes from a nearby bakery instead of a humble mug cake done in minutes.
- To make gluten-free mug cakes, substitute your choice of gluten-free cake mix.
Mug cakes are best eaten warm, right out of the microwave for a few minutes. They are so quick and easy to make! If you have some leftover and want to warm it up a bit, you can do so. However, the cake might dry out so just reheat for 5-10 seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions
An easy way to change the flavor is by adding a tablespoon of your favorite jam, dried, fresh, or canned fruit, pie filling, lemon zest, peanut butter, vanilla extract, or caramel sauce.
Anything you like, basically. You can use whipped topping, frosting, vanilla ice cream, sprinkles, chocolate syrup, chopped nuts, chopped candy bar, chopped pretzels, crushed peppermint candies, or chopped cookies.
Each microwave is a little different. You may need to adjust the amount of time when making this. You will know it is done when the top feels spongy.
I used Duncan Hines. But you could use Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, or try with whatever brand you prefer.
Using ready-made cake boxes requires less time, but if you prefer your own batter mix, that is all right as well.
If you’ve tried these Strawberry Mug Cake Recipe or any other recipe on my site, let me know in the comment section how they turned out. We love hearing from you! You can also follow along with me on FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM to see more colorful recipes!
- 6 Tablespoons strawberry cake mix
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 2 Tablespoons apple sauce
- 1 Tablespoon strawberry, finely diced and patted dry
- whipped cream, frosting, sprinkles, chocolate syrup, Optional garnish:
- Spray the inside of a microwave safe mug with non-stick spray (you want to use a mug that holds at least 8 ounces). Add the cake mix, water, applesauce and diced strawberry to your mug. Stir the ingredients together until smooth.
- Bake in the microwave at full power for 1 minute.
- Allow to cool slightly before eating.
- Garnish with whip cream and strawberries (and whatever topping you want, really!)
Storing NotesStrawberry mug cakes or mug cakes, in general, are best eaten warm and just out in the microwave for a few minutes. They are so quick and easy to make, it’s hardly necessary to make them ahead anyway. If you have some leftover and want to warm it up a bit, you can do so. However, the cake might dry out.
Frequently Asked Questions about Strawberry Mug Cakes
- What are some other add-ins that work? An easy way to change the flavor is by adding a Tablespoon of your favorite jam, dried, fresh, or canned fruit, pie filling, lemon zest, peanut butter, vanilla extract, or caramel sauce.
- What toppings can I use? Anything you like, basically. You can use whipped topping, frosting, vanilla ice cream, sprinkles, chocolate syrup, chopped nuts, chopped candy bar, chopped pretzels, crushed peppermint candies, or chopped cookies.
- My cake seems overdone /underdone- did I do something wrong? Each microwave is a little different. You may need to adjust the amount of time when making this. You will know it is done when the op feels spongy
- What brand of cake mix did you use? I used Duncan Hines. But you could use Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, or try with whatever brand you prefer.
- Can I use cake mix from scratch? Using ready-made cake boxes requires less time, but if you prefer your own batter mix, that is all right as well.